Monday, August 27, 2012

That'll Learn Ya



     Remember long, long ago (about a week) when I said we’d discuss the concept “burn more calories than you consume”? Yeah, about that… I’m thinking that will have to wait a wee bit longer. This week I think we’ll chat a little about falling down.

     I bet you’re thinking, “uh oh.” Uh oh is exactly right. The scale has gone in the wrong direction this week. Am I discouraged? Yes I am, a bit. Am I surprised? Sadly, no I am not. I have let a few things slide over the last ten days or so. For someone like me, a person who seems able to gain weight merely by being within shouting distance of a bakery (I think I attract cinnamon bun fat molecules like a magnet), letting things slide is a dangerous thing to do.

Here’s what I didn’t do this week:
  1. I did not track my food intake. My nifty shnifty phone doo dad sits idle.
  2.  I did not “eat smaller”. In fact, I baked cookies and ate um… a lot of them.
  3.  I did not merely skimp on exercise; I did not go to the gym for a solid five days.
  4. I did not weigh in daily. 
     Yikes, right? I didn’t just stumble there; I fell flat on my face! By not doing all the things I know I need to do, I’ve managed to lose ground. I’ve let myself down. But focusing on mistakes or giving up because of them is, in the grand scheme of things, kind of silly. No one has died. The world hasn’t ended in a fiery ball of flame. All that has happened is that I have messed up a smidge. And you know what? That is ok. Life goes on.

     So now I will open up my phone app, log in today’s weight, and today’s meals. Tonight I will go to bed at a reasonable hour, set the alarm for an unreasonable hour, get up early, walk the dog, and then get my ample backside down to the gym. And away we go!

How about you? How do you handle it if you fall off the wagon?

3 comments:

  1. I try not to beat myself up too much and just think: Tomorrow's a new day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Today is a new day, and I'm off to a fresh start! Dog walked, gym uh... gymmed, and away we go!

      Delete
  2. I usually think bugger it and eat a bit more - then feel really bad and get back on the wagon.

    ReplyDelete